The classic lines of EMD’s GP35 returns again with another run of this popular locomotive in even more new road names!
The familiar look of EMD’s 2nd generation diesels began with the GP35. 1,334 of the 2500 horsepower units were built for more than 40 railroads between 1963 and 1966 between plants in the U.S.A. and Canada.
While the unique styling of the GP30 made them popular from trackside, there were several issues with the locomotives that made them far less enjoyable from the railroads’ and crews’ perspective. EMD had pushed that design somewhat to stay close to competition from GE and ALCo. Within a few years however, they had ironed out those problems and introduced the GP35.
The locomotive used the same prime mover as the GP30, EMD’s 567D, but cranked out an additional 250 horsepower. The locomotive also featured revised dynamic brakes and a better air-tight car body that reduced wear from dirt entering the engine compartment. To the crews’ liking, the cab roof was higher inside and its heating system greatly improved. The GP35 proved to be a solid locomotive that would set the standard and the look of EMD’s to follow.
Often these locomotives outlived their original buyers to work for succeeding lines or later to be sold to regional and short line railroads. Many of these engines can still be found hard at work on those lines today. Others have been rebuilt, some as slugs without their own diesel engines, and remain on the Class One roads like BNSF and CSX today.
Lionel’s GP35 captures the look of this historic locomotive in great detail. Available in two LEGACY equipped powered numbers and an additional non-powered locomotive, you’ll be able to create prototypical consists whether you’re running the local or a hot piggy-back freight.
Powered locomotives feature:
- LEGACY Control System – able to run on LEGACY, TMCC or Conventional control layouts
- Odyssey II Speed Control with On / Off switch
- LEGACY RailSounds including
- CrewTalk and TowerCom dialog
- 6 Official railroad speeds
- 8 Diesel RPM levels
- Quilling Horn
- Bell (single hit and continuous)
- Sequence Control
- Current speed and fuel dialog
- Refueling sounds
- Dual maintenance-free motors
- Traction Control
- Refined Conventional Control mode with lower starting speeds
- Front and Rear ElectroCouplers
- Pivoting Pilot offers increased realism on curves
- Fan-driven smoke with adjustable output
- Directional lighting
- Marker Lights
- Lighted cab interior with crew
- Metal frame, pilots, trucks and fuel tank
- MSRP: $499.99
Non-Powered models feature:
- Metal frame, pivoting pilots, trucks and fuel tank
- Front and rear magnetic couplers
- Select separately applied details
- Detailed cab interior
- MSRP: $259.99
All of the locomotives will negotiate an O-31 curve. Available roadnames include: Alaska, B&O, Burlington Northern, C&O, CP Rail, CSX, GM&O, Great Northern, Missouri Pacific, Norfolk Southern, Santa Fe, and Western Maryland.
These locomotives are in stock now. See your local dealer to pick up yours today!