The Acela is America’s fastest passenger train today, speeding between Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington D.C. at speeds of up to 150 mph. The comfortable business and first class seating combines speed with an efficient and enjoyable place to travel. Lionel is bringing back the popular Acela in 2012 with several improvements over our previous runs.
Lionel worked closely with Amtrak, using original construction and paint plans to bring you the most accurate rendition of the Acela possible. These trains are packed with detail and extras, both inside and out. The Acela is sure to be a hit for everyone who sees it. And with our improvements in this edition, we’re giving you even more control over the show.
The set features a powered and non-powered locomotive, a first class and business class car. A two-car add-on set provides the cafe/bistro and an additional business class car to lengthen the consist. The powered locomotive features Odyssey II control, dual motors, traction tires, and a crew in the cab to complete the look. Both locomotives are equipped with several more amazing features:
- LEGACY Control: Get the best control on the market. The locomotives are LEGACY equipped but will also work with TMCC, and conventional transformer control. We’ve improved the slow-speed performance in conventional control as well.
- LEGACY Sound: Recorded directly from the real train, the sounds bring the Acela to life. You’ll get a quillable horn with pre-programmed warning whistles, a single-clap or automatic bell, crew and dispatcher dialog with different scenarios. The trip sequence will provide proper background sounds for an entire run as you control the speed. And you get dialog from the conductor and crew with station calls, speed announcements and more.
- Working Pantographs: watch the pans raise and lower automatically depending on the direction of travel. The electronics for these have been redesigned to be more robust and with thermal protection.
- Operating LED headlights, marker lights, track lights, number boards, cab interior and oscillating ditch lights.
- Scale couplers beneath the nose cones and numerous extra metal details.
The action continues in the cars. When the train pulls into the station, you can open the doors with the press of a button on your cab. We’ve worked to improve the operating mechanism to minimize jams and added under-door lighting. The interiors feature scale details and passengers. You’ll be able to appreciate all of the interior wonder with the improved lighting system. You can control the intensity of the LED lighting with your CAB-2/CAB-1 remote from intense full lighting which will show off the details in even the brightest room to a more subdued and prototypical level, or turn them off completely. The lights will dim and increase gradually.
The cars are connected by a new innovative connection system. Full diaphragms also connect the cars. The train will operate over O-72 curves.
Retail for the set is $1,699.99. The two car add-on set is $499.99 and features the same features as the cars in the train set. Make the Acela the pride of your high-speed fleet this year!