The Baldwin “Centipedes” are certainly among the most distinctive if not successful locomotives in history. Lionel’s VISION Line release earlier this year provided the most faithful and dynamic models of these monsters to date. You can read more about that release, and the prototype, in our previous New Product Spotlight.
At nearly four feet in length, the VISION Centipedes were more than many model railroads could handle. Although the prototypes were designed to be run in pairs, there is no reason you couldn’t split them! So we’ve added a new run of the locomotives, in three prototypical paint schemes.
The single Centipedes feature the same rugged construction and innovative features of the previous release:
- LEGACY Control – run in LEGACY, TMCC or Conventional
- Odyssey II Speed Control – with an On/Off switch
- LEGACY Railsounds including
- CrewTalk and TowerCom
- Six Official Railroad speeds
- Eight Diesel RPM levels
- Quilling Horn
- Single hit or continuous bell
- Sequence Control
- Current speed and fuel dialog
- Dual speakers
- Dual motors
- ElectroCouplers front and rear
- Traction tires
- Twin smoke units with adjustable output
- Directional lighting
- Working marker lights
- Lighted number boards
- Die-cast metal body, frame, trucks, pilot and fuel tank
- Engineer and Conductor figures
- Many separately applied details
The locomotives are not listed as VISION Line locomotives because although the speakers are balanced within the unit, unlike the paired Centipedes, they are not balanced across the other pair. Otherwise, these locomotives have the same features and quality of the first run.
We’ve brought back the popular Pennsylvania 5-stripe scheme with a new number, 5821 (6-34676). We’ve also added two new and very attractive schemes for the other railroads which rostered the locomotives; the Seaboard (6-34677) and Nationales de Mexico (6-34680).
The locomotives are still limited to an O-72 curve. They retail for $1,099.99 and are crawling their way to your dealers now.