Without question, the Norfolk Southern Heritage Program has been the big story in railroading for 2012. Lionel was among the first of the model manufacturers to announce our plans to recreate these beautiful machines, and of course we’d need to do them in our growing American Flyer line too.
First out of the gate in S will be six SD70ACE locomotives. Decorated for the Erie, Illinois Terminal, Jersey Central, Lackawanna, New York Central and Penn Central, these will join (and look great with) the conventional Norfolk Southern painted locomotive in the line announced earlier in the year.
The powered locomotives are packed with features including:
- LEGACY Control system – able to run with LEGACY, TMCC or in conventional control modes.
- DCC Enabled – You can choose to run with LEGACY or DCC operation.
- AF Speed Control – Turn this on to automatically compensate for curves and grades.
- LEGACY RailSounds – Amazing recorded sounds featuring
- CrewTalk and TowerCom announcements
- Eight diesel RPM’s
- LEGACY Quilling horn
- Single hit or continuous bell
- Independent volume control
- Twin Motors
- ElectroCouplers front and rear
- Mounting holes and support plate for scale couplers
- Pivoting Pilot – Navigate tighter curves with greater realism.
- Operating headlight, front and rear marker lights, number boards, cab interior
- Metal Frame
- Die Cast metal trucks, pilots and fuel tank
- Fan-driven smoke unit
- Detailed cab interior with crew
- Many separately applied metal details
In addition to the powered locomotives, we’re offering matching non-powered units for those wanting a longer consist or just a matched set. These feature a metal frame, die-cast trucks, pilots and fuel tank, operating couplers and separately applied details.
All of the locomotives will negotiate a 36″ diameter curve. Powered locomotives retail for $479.99 and non-powered for $239.99. These beauties are currently scheduled to ship in September, 2013.
Have fun chasing them across Norfolk Southern, and get ready to add these to your stable at home. Look for more Heritage locomotive announcements in the future as well!