When tradition meets modern, it’s sweet music with the new Neil Young Signature Line from Lionel. The famous musician has partnered with our Lionel engineers to create many memorable products and this new line of trains will be a fitting addition to that tradition.
Combining the classic look of our F3 and streamlined passenger cars with today’s LEGACY control and sound and upgraded details, these new trains take the best of both for maximum fun and value. Whether you’re a collector or just want to run cool trains, these will fit the bill.
The Texas Special won the hearts of passengers and Lionel fans alike in the 1950s. Operated by the Missouri Kansas and Texas (the Katy) and the St. Louis San Francisco (Frisco), the red and silver streamliner left a lasting impression on all who saw her.
This signature series is pulled by a pair of our classic postwar F3 diesels (One powered, one non-powered A units) and includes a combine, coach, Vista Dome and observation car. A powered and non-powered F3 B are also available and a baggage and Station Sounds diner expansion pack are on schedule for 2014 release to expand your consist. See pages 90-94 of our 2013 Signature Catalog for more details on the B units and add-on passenger cars.
Pennsylvania F3 Set
Working with Raymond Loewy, the Pennsylvania introduced its new “Fleet of Modernism” passenger trains in 1938. The new streamlined cars featured the most elaborate decoration applied to the Pennsy’s passenger cars since the days of the “Yellow Kid” Pennsylvania Special.
Like our Texas Special set, a pair of postwar F3s lead this train which includes a baggage, combine, coach and observation car featuring a blunt end. Powered and non-powered F3 B units are also available and a coach / Station Sounds diner add-on pack will come in 2014.
The diesels in both sets include many new features not normally associated with our postwar models. Most noticeable on the carbody will be add-on details like lift rings and boiler stack details and Trainphone antennae on the PRR locomotives. The extra features continue inside the shell:
- LEGACY Control – also capable of running on TMCC or Conventional
- Odyssey II Speed Control
- LEGACY RailSounds including
- CrewTalk and TowerCom dialog
- 6 Railroad speeds
- 8 Diesel RPM levels
- LEGACY Quilling horn
- Single hit or continuous mechanical bell
- Sequence control provides sounds and dialog for an entire trip around your layout
- Current speed and fuel dialog and refueling sounds
- ElectroCouplers on front and rear
- Dual motors with flywheels
- Refined Transformer Control with lower starting speeds
- Traction Tires
- Fan-driven smoke unit with adjustable output
- Directional lighting including LED headlights
- Working Marker Lights
- Illuminated number boards
- Lighted and detailed cab interior with figures
- Metal frame
- Die-cast metal trucks, fuel tank and pilots
- O-31 minimum curve
The non-powered A units are also packed with features including:
- Die cast metal trucks, pilot and frame with fuel tank
- Fan driven smoke unit with adjustable output in TMCC or LEGACY mode
- LEGACY controlled front Electro Coupler
- Directional lighting with LED headlight
- Working marker lights
- Illuminated number boards
- Illuminated cab interior
- LEGACY control for lights
Back after a long hiatus, these sets include our 15″ aluminum passenger cars. The cars feature
- Sprung die-cast metal trucks
- Metal frame and aluminum carbody
- Operating couplers with hidden uncoupling tabs
- Separately applied metal details including roof vents and grab irons
- Removable roofs
- Vestibules with operating diaphragms and opening doors
- Detailed interiors with painted figures
- Interior lighting with on/off switch
- Lighted tail sign on observation cars
The Texas Special and Pennsylvania sets retail for $1109.99. Add on B units are $379.99 powered and $229.99 non-powered. Add on passenger car 2-packs will be $399.99. See your dealers today to get in on these unique trains which are sure to be fun collectibles for years to come.