We introduced the new American Flyer ES44AC last year as part of the Norfolk Southern Heritage Series. This year we’re bringing more paint schemes from many of this modern standard’s other operators.
Since its introduction in 2003, General Electric’s ES44AC has become a common sight on railroads all across North America. While AC traction motor-equipped locomotives are generally preferred for slower, heavy freights like coal trains, you will see these locomotives on almost any type of train. And with railroads frequently interchanging the locomotives along with the rest of the train today, it is not at all uncommon to find “foreign power” on your local line.
This year’s lineup of American Flyer ES44ACs will include some great names from coast to coast: BNSF, Canadian Pacific, CSX, Kansas City Southern, and Union Pacific. Powered locomotives for each roadname will be offered with two different numbers. For the KCS locomotives, one number will wear the Southern Belle scheme, the other a “what if” version of their gray paint scheme.
The American Flyer ES44AC is packed with features.
- LEGACY Control System – able to run on LEGACY, TMCC or Conventional power. The models are also DCC enabled.
- AF Speed Control with on/off switch for maintaining an even speed through curves and grades
- LEGACYRailSounds featuring
- CrewTalk and TowerCom announcements with varying scenarios based on the train’s motion
- Eight diesel RPM levels
- LEGACY Quilling Horn
- Single hit or continuous mechanical bell
- Independent volume control
- Two maintenance-free motors
- Front and RearElectroCouplers
- Mounting holes and support plate for scale couplers (sold separately)
- Pivoting Pilot allows for operation on tight curves with better appearance
- Operating headlight, ditch lights, illuminated number boards and detailed cab interior
- Traction Tires
- Metal Frame
- Fan-driven smoke unit
- Die-cast metal trucks, pilots and fuel tank
- Separately applied metal details
- Cab window glass
- Engineer and conductor figures
All locomotives will negotiate S-36 curves. All come with American Flyer wheels but can be switched to scale wheels which will be available separately through Lionel Customer Service.
ES44AC locomotives retail for $529.99. If you are looking for colorful modern power for your American Flyer layout, it doesn’t get any better than this.